Dear D,
I know you may never see this and that if you did, you would most likely be unimpressed by my efforts here. But as I've grown older, I've realized that apologies are really for the person making them more than they are for the one who receives them and after twelve years, I'm more than ready to let go. Twelve years...has it really been that long? It doesn't seem possible. Wasn't it just yesterday that we began that endless Summer of '91? We were so young, so happy, and so free. We were brand-new adults unencumbered by true adulthood. I was free at last from my high school boyfriend's abusive reign of terror, and you and I were on the verge of finally being more than good friends. How were we to know then that even with my arm finally out of the sling, I wasn't yet healed from the injuries that the two years I spent under his thumb had inflicted on my spirit? Too soon to jump into something new? But, I loved you, I trusted you, wasn't that enough? Sadly, it wasn't. But how could I have known that then? And even if I had, I don't think it would have mattered. I was eighteen, free, and in love; and I couldn't have been happier or more excited about what the future might hold for us. While I can't be that girl anymore, she's still inside me. For the last twelve years she's been suffering, and not really in silence. It is on her behalf that I say what I do here.
So, twelve years too late, I just want to say that I'm sorry for hurting you. For the lying and the cheating and all the other stupid things my insecurities drove me to do. We waited so long to be together, you would think I went into it with some kind of game plan, but I had no experience, no sources to draw from, and absolutely no self-esteem. The one thing I learned from the two years I spent in servitude to my high school "sweetheart" was that I was a bad person. I was unworthy of love, deserving of abuse, and "lucky" to have anyone in my life at all. My head may have known he was full of it, but it took my heart years to catch up. And I just wasn't there yet. I know that people who hate themselves as much as I did back then have no business trying to love anyone else. But how could I resist loving you? You, who knew me better than I knew myself. You, who made me laugh and laughed at my jokes in return. You treated me so decently and so wonderfully and who made me so happy and who was repaid with nothing more than a few jokes, some slow dances, and extremely erratic loyalty. You deserved better, even then I knew that. I just couldn't be "better" back then. I didn't have it in me. I didn't believe in myself enough, and frankly, I never understood what you saw in me. I spent most of our relationship trying to prove to you just how unfounded your faith in me was, and ultimately, I succeeded. I have no one to blame but myself.
I have been told by many that you are a very different person from the one I once knew. That you don't "deserve" to hear the words "I'm sorry" from me. That may or may not be true, but regardless of who you are now or how much you may hate me; that doesn't mean I shouldn't say I'm sorry when I've done something wrong. If that young girl inside has taught me anything, it is that. I've heard it said that people who don't love themselves can't love other people, but I don't think that's true. I think they're just really bad at it. None of those other stupid boys ever held a candle to the way you made me feel or the way I felt about you, they were just pathetic attempts to 'prove' something to myself. What that was, I'll never know. For what it's worth, I really did love you. In fact, you were the first boyfriend I really loved, and possibly the only person other than my husband that I've ever loved so much. And that's why this still hurts so badly.
I'm not sorry about the way either of our lives turned out. I think we both ended up where we needed to be. Believe it or not, I'm a pretty good wife, and my husband isn't nearly the pushover you and I joked that he would be. We have a nice little house in the country and a few more than the 2.5 kids I always wanted. I have no complaints. We were so young when we were together that I never did picture us as married and living 'happily ever after,' but I did believe that we would always be friends. The fact that we aren't is perhaps the biggest regret of my life. With all the time that has passed and all the blows that have been dealt, I'm not sure that we could ever be friends again. But, failing that, I do think it's high time I brought some comfort and closure to the pained eighteen year-old who still lives in my heart.
Word of mouth tells me that you have no residual issues where I'm concerned, and I want to be able to say the same. I think this overdue apology just might do the trick. So again, I'm sorry for the way I treated you, for the way things ended between us, and especially sorry that we don't know each other anymore. You were, by far, one of the best friends I've ever had and the only person who consistently laughed at my jokes. (I miss that.) Thanks for being the light at the end of that dark, two-year tunnel, for believing in me when I didn't believe in myself, for helping me to remember who I was and what my priorities were, and most of all thanks for restoring my sense of humor. I hope you haven't lost yours. I wish you every happiness. God knows you deserve it. I hope you aren't gloating that I've felt so badly about all of this for so long, but knowing you, you probably are. Take care my friend, and when you think of me, try not to swear too loudly. Remember the laughter, remember those awkward "I love you's', and remember with happiness the Summer of '91. Now that this is finished, I think I will too. Most of all, just know that I'm sorry...As far as you know.
Always,
M
2 comments:
Okay, as usual, I'm WAY late to the party. Those of you who know me will in no way be surprised.
Warning: the following contains "Christina's theory of lost love." I am not a professional, or a writer; read at your own risk of confusion. FYI - This will be long. ;O)
Melessa. As everyone as noted, we all have regrets and residual feeling when it come to our ex's that we thought was seriously "the one." Luckily or not, mine turned out to be gay so I have had no doubts for a long time that it was not meant to be. But I still think about him occasionally. I even have dreams about him. I've decided it all ties in with the rush of feelings that comes with being 20 and IN LOVE!!! Not the forever love kind, but the first love kind. The capital letters kind of love! The fear of failure and of being alone for the rest of out lives totally influences that. Since most of us grew up with parents who got married when they were young, it subconsciously programmed us to think whomever we were with at whatever age our parents married meant we were supposed to marry. I know that's how I felt and the gay ex and I discussed how he felt the same way. Of course he said it wasn't me he wanted, but I conveniently ignored that. (It was another girl at that time by the way)
Whether you were a good girlfriend or bad girlfriend makes no difference. I thought I was the best girlfriend in the world! I paid for most everything; I had a nicer car so I drove him everywhere. I did everything I possibly could for him. I turned myself inside out. Nothing changed the situation. He definitely enjoyed having me around, he wasn't stupid after all. Pretty much whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. He was the one with all the power. Pathetic right? Every 20 year old guy's dream right? Didn't make one bit of difference. At that age, who really knows what they are and who they are becoming? I'm certainly not who I was then. He probably isn't either. At least I hope so. What an ass! When he finally broke up with me I was devastated for months. (Probably years really.) I've come to look at his breaking up with me as one of the best things that could have ever happened to me. It gave me time to grow up before I met my man. Who I thank God sent me.
As far as my “having it all” with the other one that got away. Again, the big guy upstairs knew what he was doing. J and I never got serious. We were never dating as you and D2 were. Who knows what hell that could have brewed up. We enjoyed the flirting and getting drunk and making out for years but never went all the way. We were never really suited though and I now think down deep we both knew it. I couldn’t stand up for myself back then. The only time he really stood up for anything was in not dating me. It’s a wonder that I came out of my teen years with any self-esteem. As we got older I would have run all over him. Not that he’s weak, or that I’m so dominating (I think), but when I talk to him, I can feel that I would have been with him. Poor guy, he doesn’t need my issues. It would have turned into my parents in reverse. I’m already enough like my dad. LOL. Luckily I found someone who is strong enough to put up with me and although hubby and I have problems, we are working on them.
Always remember that D2 wasn’t perfection. He was kind of a pain in the ass. He could be very funny but sheep jokes get old after a while. (Not sexual, just random sheep jokes.) Remember he wanted to pour milk in J’s car. The cereal was funny, the milk was too far. He was very good at pushing things too far. That’s how things got out of had that last night. He didn’t own you, you were allowed to have other friends. Whatever things you did to him in the past, you were a teenager. We were all stupid then! Never forget that.
Sorry if I rambled too long and hijacked your blog. I hope that I made sense, it is pretty late. I know we’ve talked about his all before, I know you know it. It just bears repeating occasionally.
Chris-
You are so frighteningly wise sometimes! :>) I'm sorry you hurt so much over the gay boyfriend, like Lanie's "ex," I wasn't surprised when he left. I never thought they were 'the ones' for either of you. Which doesn't mean I'm not sensitive to how much you both hurt-I guess I just feel the same way about your break-ups with them as you both do about mine. That's such a brilliant insight about being 20 and IN LOVE!! Why didn't I think of that? I also laughed hard at "Who knows what kind of hell that would have stirred up?" Because when you asked it-I could picture it, and it wasn't pretty. (It WAS funny, though.) I forgot about the stupid sheep jokes, they did get kind of old, didn't they?
I think though, had you behaved with 'gay A' (sorry, couldn't resist) in the same fashion that I did with D2; that at some point when you came to your senses and found some self-esteem; you just might feel a little bad about how much your actions might have hurt him. As you said, you gave gay A everything he wanted and then some. He had no reason to complain. Whether or not you like D2 or some of the things he has done in the more recent past, you have to admit he didn't have it so good when he was with me.
I guess getting together with Dave after he had just gotten through a somewhat similar experience with his ex gave me a nasty view of the "good" guy's side of trying to stand by your completely insecure and self-destructive girlfriend. (Although even at my worst, there's no way I was ever as bad as she was.) When he, on rare occasions, goes on about how awful she was and how much he hates her, I always cringe knowing that I was that girl in someone else's past. And I don't wanna be that girl in someone's past.
I guess, more than anything else, that's really what all of this is about. I watched Meredith become "that girl" for George, and got a pretty strong reminder that I was one too, and I don't like it.
Post a Comment